INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
- Terms of reference
Titolo: Emergency Unit Assistant Internship
Tutor: Head of Emergency Unit
Data d’inizio: February 2017
Durata: 6 months
In a humanitarian crisis, making decisions is a challenge. The situation is constantly changing and information is scarce. Humanitarian actors must be able to zoom in on important details as well as see quickly analyse the overall picture. The role of Emergency Unit will be therefore crucial for the quality of our programmes. It shall guarantee that INTERSOS missions and regions have a coherent and constant update of the humanitarian situation at country, regional and global level. The Emergency Unit will support country and regional programmes with context analysis, producing recommendations, in line also with relevant international cooperation agencies and main donors.
The constant access to updated humanitarian data and updated analysis will therefore help INTERSOS Head of Missions and Regional Directors to revise and adjust country programme strategies in line with the main humanitarian needs and trends and with the internal capacity. Ultimately, through the above mentioned process, the Emergency Unit will ensure readiness at country/regional level to respond to both natural and man made emergencies in our programs, through collection of information, analysis and planning.
- Tasks and responsibilities
The Emergency Unit Assistant Intern will work in collaboration with the Head of Emergency Unit to support the Regional Directors and Head of Missions in constantly analyse the major humanitarian crisis through the preparation of internal INTERSOS “crisis country sheet/sitrep”managing emergencies & revision of ongoing programmes/strategies in case of rapid scale up or deterioration of humanitarian crisis in countries/areas where INTERSOS is present.
The activities of the intern will be:
– To daily revise specialized humanitarian analysis papers, articles, crises updates and bulletins available on the web and in other international platforms
– To prepare weekly humanitarian country crisis reviews
– To support in the revision of INTERSOS programme strategies based on the possible humanitarian scenarios
– To support the Emergency Unit in the organization of internal training and learning sessions on key concepts, principles, normative frameworks, methods, and strategies related to humanitarian action
– Master degree on International Cooperation and/or International Relations
– Basic understanding and knowledge of the key concepts of humanitarian action, principles, mechanisms (IHL, cluster mechanism, HYP, ect)
– Clear interest on humanitarian action and first emergency response activities
– Flexibility and able to change priorities according to the emergency
– Fluent in English and possibly even in French
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae and motivation letter in English to: email@example.com with subject line: “Internship Emergency Unit HQ_Rome”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview